The Administrative Assistant provides direct support to the Minister of Worship & the Arts in all administrative and some production capacities for worship services and arts events. We are seeking applicants with some experience in Christian liturgy to provide administrative support, with strong organizational skills, and who has the ability to relate to, and communicate with the diverse membership of a progressive, urban, Christian congregation, particularly with women, LGBT members, and professional artists.
Hours are Tuesday to Thursday and includes four hours on Sunday morning.
Responsibilities and requirements (including but not limited to) are listed below.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
Administrative Support/Office Management
- Communication by telephone and written correspondence with senior clergy, staff, vendors, church membership, Commission members, and other lay people,
- Ensure all Outlook Contacts are accurate and up-to-date;
- Arrange and maintain the Worship Office general files (digital and hard copies) and its resource library;
- Produce and update a yearly planning calendar for all services coordinated through the Worship Office, revising entries as needed, for services, lay readers, and preachers, etc.
- Produce checklists and confirm rehearsals, sound checks, readings, and baptisms and Communion stewards;
- Inventory, order and maintain general office supplies, materials, and equipment.
- Receive, process, and record authorization forms of payment: check requests, Travel & Entertainment Expense and petty cash requests etc;
- File and maintain required related files, reports, spreadsheets etc. and verify completeness of transactions;
- Purchases and maintains supplies, prepares essential paperwork, monitors budget expenditures and assists in the financial process as appropriate.
Worship Services, Programs and Events Production
- Work with Minister of Worship & the Arts, senior staff, church members, and church commissions to organize the components needed for worship services and arts events;
- Assist in the creation of worship scripts with the Minister of Worship & the Arts, and when required, other church leaders;
- Oversee worship services supplies inventory (e.g., banners, candles, grape juice for Communion, paraments, and vestments), place and prepare orders and invoices;
- Assist in stage management duties for special services, such as the Candlelight Festival, the annual Martin Luther King Jr. Service, Ash Wednesday, and Holy Week, and others;
- Attend to Sunday Worship and special services preparation (e.g., Communion, Baptisms, etc.).
Experience and Education Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree and experience in the administrative field;
- An understanding of and facility with Christian liturgy and vocabulary;
- Ability to perform duties with excellent people skills, as well as a high level of appropriate discretion and confidentiality;
- Ability to lift 15 lbs.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills;
- Hands-on, organized, detail-oriented, flexible, and able to multi-task;
- Works well independently, as well as in a collaborative environment;
- Able to plan projects, prioritize and follow through; and meet weekly deadlines;
- Strong computer skills working within Microsoft Office Suite, SharePoint, e-mail applications and ability to perform research on the Internet;
- Positive and professional demeanor.